Photographs of Trier (Trèves), Germany's oldest city (2,000+ years).

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Graffiti Sunday 3: The Men in Grey


Momo seems to be a popular theme in Trier. This awesome graffiti, showing die grauen Herren (the Men in Grey or the Grey Gentlemen), is painted on the wall of an underpass near the Kaiserthermen. In Michael Ende's novel (and subsequent movies and television series), they are the sinister 'representatives' of the Timesavings Bank, who promote the idea of saving time, only to consume it themselves in the form of cigarettes made from the dried petals of the hour-lilies that represent time.

I remember watching the movie as a child and being really scared by the Men in Grey. And to be honest, I think I still am!

Note: I am away for the weekend, so Rob from Life in Stuttgart is posting this for me.
-nebel


Update: I've added the location to the description, somehow that got lost from the original post. I'm blaming Rob! (Just kidding! ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/SebastianNebel