Photographs of Trier (Trèves), Germany's oldest city (2,000+ years).

Friday, February 24, 2006

It's that time of year again


Yesterday was Weiberfastnacht, and since I'm not into that sort of thing at all, I was totally unprepared when I entered the Hauptmarkt and found myself in a crowd of hundreds of celebrating people, most of them dressed up in disguises, cheering the Prinzenpaar, that was lifted in the air by a fire truck to greet the Narren und Närrinen from the sky.

In the background is the tower of St. Gangolf, presenting the Latin phrase vigilate et orate in golden letters, which, if Google memory serves me, means something like "watch and pray".

I for one will watch this Karneval thing unfold the next few days and pray that I will make it through without going insane. But to all of you actually enjoying the fifth season: Have a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/SebastianNebel